Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cycling 100 miles with a spinal cord injury

I am proud to report that I rode my bike 100 miles this weekend! The event was a group ride with disabled military servicemen who seek to be active and athletic despite their limitations. Many of them had amputations or spinal cord injuries that required them to use hand cycles rather than regular bikes. If you think that riding 100 miles is hard, imagine doing it with only your upper body powering you! These guys were very inspirational.

My team was composed of my sister Katherine, my brother-in-law Mike, and my friend Rebecca Tuuri. We started out in Bethesda on a beautiful Saturday morning and rode 60 miles to Frederick, Maryland. I had expected that I would only make it about 30 miles, given my own limitations, but my legs managed to propel me the whole distance. Then on Sunday morning, we rode 40 miles to Gettysburg, PA, where we finished near the Civil War memorial site. After a delicious BBQ lunch, we got a ride back home to Bethesda. What a weekend!

Thanks to everyone who financially supported us, and to everyone who has provided encouragement as I have struggled to regain my athletic identity. It has been a tremendously frustrating process, but reaching a goal like this is especially sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, it was great seeing you out in California. I recently moved and haven't bike in a few weeks. Now I have no excuse not to get on my bike and do 50 miles. Good to hear you're back in the saddle doing centuries – Jeremy

Nate said...

Hi Tom, I'm really happy to hear that you've been continuing on in your recovery and even to the point of riding so substantially. It would be hard for me to imagine how challenging it's been for you so far, but I'm glad that you've kept on going and are still gaining back old abilities.