Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bicycling from NYC to DC in September

It's been two years since my accident, and I am incredibly grateful for my recovery. I can do almost everything now that I used to do, just not at such a frenetic pace. My life here in DC is full of cycling, socializing, and intellectual pursuits. I could even say that 2009 has been the best year of my life since 2000, my highest standard for joy and fulfillment. So what comes next?

Since I'm not one to just sit around, I decided to join my friends for the 2009 Climate Ride, a five-day, 300 mile charity ride from New York City to Washington, DC. Making such a remarkable recovery from a spinal cord injury has taught me to take nothing for granted, and because my legs have gotten significantly stronger this year, it's time to put them to good use.

Besides sharing the joy of cycling with others, I'm also super-excited that this ride will benefit one of my favorite organizations, Rails to Trails Conservancy (http://www.railstotrails.org). This organizations helps to buy up old, abandoned rail lines and turn them into multi-purpose trails for the public. It's a brilliant model of redevelopment since most of the investment in infrastructure has already been made: optimal routes chosen, trees cleared, paths leveled, and drainage installed. For a fraction of that cost, these areas can be purchased and used to enhance the quality of life for millions of Americans. With health care costs skyrocketing and obesity becoming the norm, Rails to Trails part of the solution in place already.

Though I don't currently have a full-time job, I am committing $400 to this fundraising effort. I need $2000 more to participate in the ride. Can you help me out by contributing $50, or whatever else your budget allows? Below is the link to my fundraising page.
http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=702162

On this ride, I am joining the Rails to Trails Team to show my special support for this organization. I am also riding on behalf of disabled people to show that we can overcome incredible adversity to do things that no one thought possible. I'd especially like to thank my surgeons, rehab doctors, physical therapists, parents, friends, and the people of Nicaragua for helping me survive and recover from "una situacion muy grave." To you, I dedicate every mile I ride on my bike.

2 comments:

Monica said...

What about thanking your doctors who weren't surgeons (like the Rehab doctors who coordinated your rehab and did your botox)?

Nick said...

Sounds like a great ride. Be sure to sport the Devil Mountain Double -- Sierra Road Goat t-shirt. You earned that one!