Sunday, March 1, 2009

The old Tom is back!

What a difference two months can make! At the end of December, it felt like my life had completely imploded, leaving me with no answers or direction. But since then every aspect of my life has picked up. My outlook has brightened, my walking has dramatically improved, and my friend Ana and I started a new social organization called Cafecitos, which bears many characteristics of Fiat Lux and the Twelve Hours Club.

Now that walking is no longer a serious obstacle, I can return to an identity that once defined me-- the explorer. Now I won't be climbing any mountains or riding my bike long distances any time soon, but I'm now capable of going on urban hikes and uncovering the many treasures that DC offers. By this summer, I expect to be fully capable of going on day hikes over sizable distances and terrain change.

The new club is very exciting as well. It is completely Spanish-speaking and designed to bridge the Latino and Anglo communities in my neighborhood. Twice a month we get together in my house to listen to Latino music, have Central American food and drinks, and enjoy getting to know each other. I've met a number of great people already, and I expect this group to have just as much success as the Berkeley and Houston organizations.

Life is becoming fun again. For the longest time, it was just one obstacle after another, one frustration after another. I still have a lot of work to do to further improve my health, but it is now good enough that it no longer consumes me. Finally, after 20 months of fighting, it is time to celebrate!

5 comments:

Ellie Elephant said...

Wonderful, dear Tom. My heart is warmed to hear it! Hopefully my flight doesn't get cancelled tomorrow and I can catch up with you in person. Stay safe in the snow!

~miss kate~ said...

Felicidades Tom! I'm happy to hear your are exploring and have created Cafecitos!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear things are going so well, Tom! It sounds like Washington is a good fit for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom! Schon länger lese ich deine blogs, bin aber erst jetzt eingestiegen in die welt des blogs. Wir haben uns in Wien kennen gelernt, als ich dein Deutsch-Lehrer bei Actilingua war. Schön zu hören,dass es dir wieder besser geht. Ich werde mich noch genauer informieren, was da alles in deinem Leben passiert ist.
Bis bald

Dean said...

Pero bueno Tom, vas a beber un cafecito? No es tu preferido. Para mi, un tecito con leche, por favor.

Long live the ambassador of goodwill!