Friday, July 4, 2008

Superman and Clark Kent

Looking back on my life one year since my accident, I have noticed that I have two distinct identities: one as an athlete and one as an intellectual. They are not alter egos however, since another major trait, my love of socializing, spreads evenly over both. I make good friends both in the classroom and on the bicycle-- it's particularly wonderful when I can share both identities with my friends.

As I have recuperated from my injury, I have summoned my superhero identity to make a remarkably quick recovery. The result however, has not been the return of my superhero powers, but of my Clark Kent identity. Not that I am complaining. Wearing red tights and a cape everywhere would be socially awkward anyway. Superman needs Clark Kent, and vice versa. Now that I am physically capable of resuming my life as an intellectual, the quality of my life with blossom as a result. However, the story cannot simply end happily ever after, because Clark Kent knows what it is like to fly. This knowledge, while wonderful in itself, is bittersweet when the experience cannot be repeated. For most people, this situation arises as they slowly grow old. So too, I imagine, when couples begin to have children. In these cases, previous joys are no longer easily attainable, and one must refocus one's perspective on new possibilites, or risk becoming bitter.

Fortunately, my superhero powers are not yet irretrievably lost. I reckon that another full year of physical therapy, combined with frequent cycling and hiking, will enable me to make significant progress. By this time next summer, I should have a much better sense of my potential for recovery, and at the same time, how much kryptonite I must simply live with. It's encouraging to know that I've already made it out of the danger zone. Christopher Reeve was not nearly so lucky. Only twelve months removed from my catastropic accident, I am already capable of leading a perfectly normal life. Normal, however, is not what I ultimately strive for. What gets me out of bed every morning and makes my life meaningful is the pursuit of excellence. Excellence is always several steps ahead, and it requires a lifetime commitment, not just fitful bursts of energy. And so the journey continues, with many fantastic discoveries along the way.

2 comments:

Delta Ung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Tom! (aka Clark Kent)

I am really glad to read that you have recuperated enough to resume your role as a superb intellectual ;-) I remember how it was to live the life as a superhero with Sushim, as you can see here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=95196&id=513205866
But actually it is not that big of a loss to be deprived of such a role. In my experience, you get a lot of people bugging you with wanting to have their picture taken with you, and stuff like that. So cheers for having brains instead! ;-)

I was wondering where you are located at the moment? I am soon leaving for a months holiday in California, and if you happened to be there it would be great to meet you again.

All the best,

Jan Fredrik
(Norwegian from Ihouse)