Monday, December 3, 2007

Book recommendations

Recently my friend Claudia encouraged me to check out a book recommendation website called goodreads.com. Obviously it's a good way for friends to share the good books they've been reading. But after looking at it more closely, it occurred to me that it could be very useful for academic reasons, too. Over the past year, I have perused hundreds of books and formed very definite opinions about their content. This knowledge could be very useful to my classmates, but since my book reviews sit around in an endnote file on my computer, they are inaccessible to everyone but me. If we put our reviews online, I imagine that tasks like qualifying exam preparation would be a lot easier, since we could make it more of a team effort. I know that many of you are more internet-savvy than I am, so I am curious about what you think of this issue.

In the last couple of weeks I've read The Magic Mountain, The Omnivore's Dilemma, and The English Patient, so if you're curious to hear what I thought about them, check out my reviews at http://www.goodreads.com

1 comment:

Hayley Lam said...

tom - nick told me about your accident a while ago now, and I have just been terrible about posting here. I just wanted to say I am here, pulling for your full recovery and also wanted to ask if you've read any Oliver Sacks - he recently published a new book, Musicophilia, but I'm currently reading one of his older books, semi-autobiographical, called 'A Leg to Stand On' and thinking it might be a good read for you!!