Monday, October 29, 2007

My next athletic challenge

The latest on my recovery is that I am mostly walking without a cane or anything to support me except my own two feet. This is exciting news! I still have a long way to go, of course, as my leg is still weak and my balance rather poor, but I'm making gains every week. In less than a month, I will get my back brace off and begin rehabbing my back and abdominals, both of which have atrophied significantly given the long layoff. I am not at all looking forward to this part of the rehab at all, as I think it will be exceedingly difficult, but I don't want to wear this brace forever either. No offense to Rebecca, of course, the body art looks great! If you haven't seen it yet, check out my facebook profile:
http://berkeley.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2228536&l=5dbe3&id=1219341

Sometimes it feels like I've been doing rehab forever and that there is no end in sight. So I asked myself, how do I know when my rehab is complete? After a few moments, a thought occurred to me: since climbing Mt. Whitney with my friend Craig back in 2005, I've been wanting to hike the John Muir Trail, a 211 mile scenic stretch from Yosemite Valley to Mt. Whitney. So why not make that my goal for recovery? Once I am fit enough, I'd like to go with a handful of friends on a celebratory hike, one in which we will consciously express our gratitude for having the physical ability and access to such natural beauty on our planet.

I might be able to do this hike as early as next summer, so don't let it sneak up on you. Save up two weeks of vacation and stay healthy and active. If you join me, we'll make memories that will last forever.

Happy hiking!

6 comments:

deborah said...

Sounds like you're making great progress, and the John Muir trail sounds like a fantastic goal. Keep us the great work!

Unknown said...

Hey Tom-
Happy B-day and best wishes on speed recovery. Glad to hear things are progressing well. Keep up the great work at rehab. Best wishes,
Sam

Historian-at-large said...

can't wait to walk for 2 weeks!
(if we run it it will only take 1 week you know...)

Manuel said...

Tom
My strongest feeling towards you at the moment is admiration.
Keep going, you are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Tom, I knew you'd walk before Lina! Are you coming back to TIRR? We miss you and are still praying for you.
Love, Monica & family

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
There are times when I feel disappointed by the negativity and apathy in others (especially stressed out college students), but when I read your blog, I'm constantly inspired. Thanks for your spirit, and happy belated birthday!

Erica