Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A good prognosis

Last week I went to a check-up with my neurosurgeon, and after looking at my latest x-rays, he told me, "By next summer you should be able to do whatever you want." I took that as encouraging news.

Right now, of course, I certainly cannot do whatever I want, but I continue to improve. I ditched my walker now that its plastic feet have worn down, and I am walking with a cane instead. It had been suggested that I put tennis balls on the feet of the walker to make it slide more smoothly, but I have vowed to myself that I will not be seen with such a contraption until I am at least 85 years old. So, cane it is. I'm thinking of spicing it up by adding some multi-colored tape to it, giving it a more stylish Latino look. But I think I'll refrain from using tassles-- you know, the kind that girls used to put on their bicycle handlebars? Enticing as it is, I don't think the residents of Memphis, Tennessee are quite ready for such a display.

I've also been talking with my friend Rebecca Tuuri about painting a really cool design on my back brace. Negotiations are still in progress, but it is likely that the final version will be bicycle-themed. No surprise there, but the details have yet to be finalized, so if you find any especially cool images of cyclists in action, be sure to email them to me.

I stepped up my physical therapy appointments from three times a week to five times a week, basically because I am tired of this crap. The more I improve, the more I yearn to walk without carefully measuring every step. I also long to ride my beautiful road bike again. But none of that is going to happen until my left leg gets stronger. My calf is weak, preventing me from getting a good push-off with each stride. My hamstring is weak, preventing me from pulling it through properly. My hip is weak, causing my body to shift to the right, making it even harder to walk. I am grateful for your continued prayers and encouragement. Keep up the good work.

One more announcement that I'm excited to make is that my friends Luke and Sarah Hartley will be running the New York City marathon to raise money for spinal chord injury research. I was incredibly surprised and grateful that Luke flew down to Nicaragua to see me shortly after my accident, and I am pleased to see his efforts to help those who suffer similar injuries. Many of you have heard of the Buffalo Bills football player who broke his neck in a game. Though his condition looked grim, doctors employed experimental methods to reduce post-trauma swelling near his spinal chord. These efforts have been enormously successful, and it looks like he will walk again, too. Where he is doing his rehab? At TIRR in Houston, the same place that I was! Thanks again to Monica Verduzco for orchestrating my acceptance into their hospital. Now only if I could get someone to write regular ESPN updates on my condition, just like that football player.

Luke and Sarah's fundraising page is
http://teamreeve2007.kintera.org/hartleys
The picture on there is of me and Luke hiking the Grand Canyon, easily the most beautiful place I have ever been. I would very much like to do something like that again. And sooner rather than later.

15 comments:

Luke Hartley said...

Fabulous news Tom! Your efforts and incredible success through your recovery are defintely helping motivate me and Sarah as we train and fundraise for the marathon. We've set up a "training blog" to track our progress - www.lukeandsarahrunnyc.blogspot.com - and have already raised $2,500 dollars for the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation.

Thanks to Tom for all the inspiration - and I can't wait until we have the chance to hike in the Grand Canyon together again!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the good news Tom! I miss seeing you on the bike as well. Sometimes I wish I had a cane, but this whole experience will make you a stronger person for the rest of your life!
--Megan DiBiase

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
I don't know if you remember me, but we met in Nicaragua, first in Ometepe, then in Matagalpa :) I am the german that went to the spanish school/tourism agency that you worked for and was at your goodbye party :)
well i read the blog and just wanted to wish you all the best for your recovery, it all sounds like it is going really well and i have no doubt it's going to continue like that :) so stay strong like you have and maybe some day we gonna meet up somewhere in central america again who knows haha :)

erika said...

Hola Tom!

Wow! The fabulous news of your recent recovery accomplishments was a great afternoon e-mail pick-me-up over here in Stephens. I really miss your energy, verve and insights around here.

Hugs and peace, friend-
erika

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the doc had such hopeful news. :) Good luck with Mary Lyle 5 x a week (you can tell her I said that too) wink, wink!

Great pup in the picture!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom! I am so glad that you are doing much better! I feel you are taking this all so well, given what a difficult situation it is. You have a great attitude! Keep it up!!!

Unknown said...

Hallo Tom!
I'm so glad to hear about your progess and can only think the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Keep up the good work!
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Tom, Have you thought about a walking stick (the type people use to walk in mountains)? It's equivalent to a cane but cooler and it can remind you of returning to the Grand Canyon! Anyways, you are still in our prayers and maybe I'll get to see you back soon kicking that football players butt.

kheekin said...

keep it up, champ. you've always been an inspiration to me as someone who deeply thinks about life and his place in it. now that inspiration has reached truly sickening levels as i watch you go through this incredibly challenging ordeal with such courage and unwavering determination. you, amigo, are incredible. i feel lucky to know you. don't be a stranger.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
is yours like a Martin-Crane-cane (from Frasier) or like a cool English-gentleman's-afternoon-
walk-in-the-park-next-to-the-
manor-cane?
Keep up the good work! You are a marvel, your patience and hope and endurance!
Christian

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom!
I was having lunch with Kristine and Dean the other day, and Kristine and I decided to make you another doo-rag so you can work it with the cane. I don't know where we come up with all of these brilliant ideas, I really don't.

Anyhow! it's so good to hear that you're going to be coming out of this stronger than ever. Perhaps the first thing you should do is a crosscountry bike ride--all the way back to Berkeley. We miss you!

With love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

I am glad to hear the good news and that your spirits are up. The progress you are making is awesome!!

Take care,
Sabyl

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

Glad to hear things are going well. Amazing courage, amazing optimism.

Joel

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Tom! Keep improving, you rock.
Love from France,
A.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you are improving Tom, though I never had a doubt that you would.
Now it's just a little time until you can do all your adventurous stuff gain.
Come visit any time you want Tom, we have a few places to visit down south too.
Manuel