Friday, August 10, 2007

Going to Graceland, Graceland, Memphis Tennessee...

This blog update is thus entitled as a nod to the upcoming Elvis Tribute Week, an annual commemoration of Elvis Presley's life and death. If you are in to that sort of thing, I would recommend going to the candlelight vigil, which is supposed to be very moving. I doubt that anyone from Memphis actually cares about these events, but it draws thousands of visitors every year. If your are thinking of coming to pay tribute to the King, watch out, because in August the weather is pretty stifling here, with daytime highs approaching 100 every day.

In my little world, I'm making what seems like very slow but continuous progress. I met with my Memphis neurosurgeon for the first time since my surgery, and though he can be a very blunt, dour man, he showed what can only be described as "elation" at my progress. He was delighted that so much leg mobility had returned, that I had control of my bladder (rare for spinal injury victims), and that everything in my back was holding together. He promptly congratulated himself on a surgery well-done and told me that he had performed a similar operation on five more people this summer. Summer, he explained, is when people do "crazy things." Two of his patients were involved in diving accidents, one had been driving a cement truck when it fell off an overpass, and two had tried to commit suicide. This conversation made me realize that people in medicine must see the world very different from the rest of us. Especially those that deal with severe trauma.

The only disappointing thing that came out of our meeting is that I learned that I would have to wear my back brace for another three months. It's not the end of the world, and it won't prevent me from walking, but I won't be able to return to Houston as soon as I wanted, and it means that I will be in Memphis for what feels like a long, long, time. You may have gathered from earlier messages that I wasn't too thrilled to return here, and I think this merits some explanation. Part of why it isn't much fun to be back here is that most of my friends moved away since we graduated from high school 11 years ago. Another reason is that I don't feel that Memphis is a particularly cosmopolitan place. After growing up here, I chose to live in Houston, Innsbruck, and Berkeley largely because they offered so much culturally and geographically appealing. But then it occurred to me that I'm being rather elitist by not liking Memphis, treating it like a place that is a waste of my time. Certainly, I wouldn't have chosen to live here again-- my circumstances necessitated it. But since that's the case, I've had to reevaluate my situation and my perspective.

First of all, if I don't make new friends soon, I'm going to go out of my mind. Spending nearly all of my day in the house and interacting almost exclusively with mom and dad isn't going to work for more than a couple of weeks. The rehab center where I go three times a week has some nice therapists, but most of the other patients are from another walk of life. To put it delicately, most of them have personal recollection of the second world war. Thus its not the social hub that I experienced in the Houston rehab center, so I'll have to look elsewhere for entertainment. One potential lead is to explore the potential opportunities that my high school alumni network may provide. The advantage of going to a small, elite private school is that they are tied into a lot of interesting programs and people in the Memphis area. I'm thinking of asking if there is anyone at my school that works with the Latino community here. Memphis is a very black/white polarized town, and I think it would be fascinating to interact with a largely invisible group. Since I never much liked hanging out with the Memphis high-society types anyway, I figured I'd fit in better with another socially marginalized community. Also at my high school, it might be fun to do some private tutoring and/or substitute teaching. It would be really fun to get to know the faculty from a different perspective, and to see how much the school has changed since my time there.

Along other lines, my friend Bruce, from Berkeley, offered to get me in touch with one of his friends who happens to play for the Memphis Redbirds minor league baseball team. I figure that those guys would be a blast to hang out with, and quite a few of them would understand what it's like to do rehab after a serious injury.

Anyway, I wish I could tell you that I was running around and that everything was better, but that's still going to be a long time. I'm trying to make the best of this situation, do my rehab each day, and make the rest of my time tolerable. It's not the best lifestyle, but far from the worst. I'm grateful that I will be able to walk again sometime soon, and that I've eluded some of the graver consequences of spinal injuries.

Finally, I want to thank all of you that have sent me cards, letters, and books the last several weeks. I have immensely enjoyed reading them, but I have been really bad about thanking each of you individually. I'm still working on it!

13 comments:

Manuel said...

So good to hear that you have control of your bladder!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

We are up in Canada, thinking about you and praying for your continued recovery. Hopefully you are able to get something out of your time in Memphis, even though it lacks the charm of Berkeley, California. Or maybe Berkeley lacks the charm of Memphis?

Anyway, we go back to Berkeley in a few days, let either of us know if you need anything.


Sam Redman and Emily Hamilton

Anonymous said...

Tom!
Thanks for the Memphis chronicle, I visited it in june on my way to Oxford, Ms, and the gap between black and white communities really made me feel uncomfortable. I understand that it must be hard to be back there after all that time and with all the plans you had. But you are right being positive, and you will be able to walk again soon, this is such great news. Did you get our card from Buenos Aires? Anyway, I am thinking of you a lot. You have so much energy, I know that you will be out of this very soon. And then I will be expecting you in France!
Allez allez mon ami!! Courage!
Love,
A.

Unknown said...

Hey Tom-
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you are recovering quickly-One of my favorite ribs places is in memphis-I had it on the drive from berkeley to DC and am tempted to take the 12 hour road trip for them again. Take care and get well soon.
Sam Khalil

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

This is Sabyl. Been forever since we've seen each other. I am so sorry to hear of your accident but am happy to hear that you are doing so well given the circumstance. Also glad to see that you've been able to remain upbeat and optimistic. I think there is a lot to the mind/body connection and your positive energy can only help in your recovery. Keep up that progress on your left leg!! I hope you will be walking normally soon and even back to more adventuring. Take care -- Sabyl

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I heard about Memphis' Elvis week on the radio the other day and thought about you. Anyways, I'm sorry about your TLSO having to stay on for so much longer :( We're waiting for you here in Houston though, and of course still praying for your progress.
Love, Mo

Jason Edwards said...

Tom, I've been thinking about you, and I'm so glad that things have gone well (all things considered) with the recovery. Interesting post, and I'm glad that you've been actively thinking about ways to spend your time and meet new people - I hope some of those avenues bear fruit! Sorry it's been so long since you heard from me - Claudia pointed me here a while ago, but I'm only just now sending my greetings... all the best!

Jason Edwards

kheekin said...

T-diddy, I'm rooting for you all the way. I can't wait to read the next update about how you're conquering death like Harry Potter conquers hoarcruxes, one obstacle at a time. That's right, I just compared you to Harry Potter. :-) Can't wait to see you and hug you in person!
Kelly

Unknown said...

Hey Tom, I was on my honeymoon in southern Germany this week, using a rare opportunity to watch television news and was flabbergasted when not only CNN but two German news programs all gave extended attention to the Elvis bash...

Glad to hear you're making progress. You're in our prayers.

Alles Gute, Ellen

Anonymous said...

Tom - it's great hear to you're making progress...even turning your doctor's dour frown into 'elation'. That was a nice description.

I wish I could say I was making the same kind of progress with my Deutsch here in Leipzig but it's slowwww...I'll be happy to return to the States in just a few days and to get going with another year at Berkeley (although given that I'll be taking both my master's exam and quals this year, perhaps I shouldn't be so eager...will certainly need your advice on these things). Keep letting us know how you're doing! -Jeff Wolf

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

i'm glad your recovery is progressing! Being fine in the long run is what counts. I don't know much about Memphis, but in 2 months you could go to Grizzlies games (although i doubt that they will be more successful than the Golden Bears last season...;)

Greetz from Germany,
Marvin

Pieter said...

ey tom! i know, interacting with veterans can be quit monotonous. i was sitting in a train yesterday filled with old veterans from the dutch indies war. from the first guy, his history was intersting, but after the third, i put myself to reading a book...

good luck w all man!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Tom-
Glad to hear that the recovery process is underway albeit slowly and painfully-hang in there. Also, you should look into an insurance rider for physical and/or occupational therapy-it may not help b/c they may consider it a preexisting condition but you should check it out. Hang in there and keep the hard work. Best wishes,
Sam