Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Tom's first personal entry since the accident

I had been trying to compose a story that started at the beginning of the summer, but so much has happened that I quickly got overwhelmed. So let me start with now, tell you the latest and greatest stuff, then work backwards.

My stay in the Houston rehab center has been a dream come true. I have recovered significantly since my two surgeries, and now I can fully concentrate on rehab. Already in Nicaragua, I started developing strength and mobility in my right leg, and now it feels almost back to normal. The main problem now is that I lost a massive amount of weight since my injury, and almost all of it was muscle. I got down as far as 157 pounds, and I need to be at 170 in order to be at good strength.

Since the accident, I have been concerned about my paralyzed left leg and wondering how much mobility would come back. My surgeons were very optimistic, but nerve and spinal injuries take 3-6 months to heal, and all progress is very, very slow. Additionally, no one really knows how much mobility will return-- it's really a wait and see approach. With rehab, what we do is strengthen what I've already gotten back and hope that with time, there will be more and more to work with. If you are one of those people who is into asking God for help in situations where humans are powerless, then you can pray that I'll get a lot of return in my left leg. The more I get back, the easier it will be to walk. That is my ultimate dream now, to some day be able to walk comfortably again. I still have a lot of places in this world I'd like to walk to, in particular the Andes. I don't care so much if I pick up my intense athletic endeavors again, as I have already accomplished on my bike the greatest challenge I could ever imagine (Devil Mountain Double Century). But I would love to be able to walk up mountain paths, carry a backpack, camp next to alpine lakes, stare at the Southern Cross, listen to the silence of uninhabited areas, and enjoy the outdoor lifestyle again. I am extremely confident that my destiny is South America, and I need two good legs to be able to get around in the places that I want to live.

That's all about the future, what about now? I've got something wonderful to report-- just today, for the very first time, I was able to contract my left quad and raise my foot into the air! This is a very good sign. I think my physical therapist was nearly as excited as I was. I nearly cried watching my left leg work so well. I hope that soon I'll get some movement below the knee as well. My therapist says so, that my hip and hip flexors are the most important, so you can keep that in mind, too.

If you live in the Houston area, please come to visit! I am free every day from 4pm-9pm. I've already had the pleasure to see many of my old Rice friends, and it lifted my spirits tremendously. It appears that I will only be here for two more weeks before they send me back to Memphis to do some out-patient recovery. Then, once I've got more strength in my leg and my back brace is removed, they'll bring me back to Houston for some hard-core rehab in September or October. Memphis may be a little bit more difficult for me, as I don't have as many friends there, but I think I will learn to play classical guitar in my freetime.

One thing I wanted to mention is that the computers in this hospital do not allow access to facebook (imagine that!), so I haven't been able to add my friend requests or read any of my messages so far. Once I get back to Memphis in two weeks, you may have to resubmit your friend requests so I can add you and stay in better touch. In the meantime, it is better to email me at my gmail address. Given that it is difficult for me to sit for long periods of time, I cannot read and reply quickly to your messages, but I appreciate every one of them.

I love you all very much, and your support has given me a tremendous boost.

7 comments:

Dean said...

Staring at the Southern Cross is indeed an activity to look forward to. It is so choice!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hallo Tom! Viele Grüße aus Deutschland. Ich habe von deiner Mail erst von deinem Unfall erfahren, und ich wünsche dir jetzt eine gute Genesung. Bis später!

Unknown said...

Hey Tom!
It's so good to hear from you in person.
I wouldn't expect anything different from you: high spirit, great optimism, and the strongest will I've ever seen to go on and fulfil your dreams.
Hands up! Keep fighting for those things and persons you believe into.
I wish you all the best.

LL said...

Wow I had no idea! I hope you recover fully soon! Ill try my best to come down to houston to visit since I just moved to austin. :)

Anonymous said...

Tom!
So nice to be able to read your own text. And i am so happy to hear that once again the recovery is fast. I am right now in the south of Chile and you are right, the Andes are the best motivation that you can probably have, they just told me they are waiting for you. And oh, learning guitar in rehab, that is so you, making a new learning experience out of a difficult time! You are the best. All my love, keep going! Aurora